July 18, 2008
8:30 pm
6 Pounds 14 Ounces
19 Inches
Will's Story...
Will was born 3 weeks and 1 day early. Ryan was in Las Vegas for a business meeting and had Maddie with him. Gracie and I were home together. The day that Ryan and Maddie were due to drive home, Gracie and I went over to a friends house to have lunch and hang out for the day. The kids were going to play outside in the water. I was so hot and not feeling well, so I went to lay down on the couch, and ended up falling asleep. When I woke up, I got up quickly and headed up the stairs to the bathroom. We're not really sure what happened, maybe I blacked out for a second, but I fell in the hallway. Meagan's daughter saw me and said, " Mom, Jessica just fell." I don't remember hearing that. I knew that I landed on the right side of my stomach though. I didn't feel hurt, but I did immediately have a contraction. I figured I better go to the doctor and get checked, just to be safe. Since my doctor is 45 minuets away and was closed that day, I went to my family doctor who found one of the only OB's in the clinic who happened to be working on a Friday afternoon and got me in to see him. He did an ultrasound and said that everything looked okay, but that they can't be sure just from the ultrasound and that he wanted to do a non-stress test. He called my regular OB who agreed, but wanted me monitored for two hours. I had to go over to the hospital because it was 4pm and the office was closing. For about an hour and half, I had light contractions that were anywhere from 5 to 10 mins apart, which was not really a concern. The all of sudden they got really intense and 2 mins apart and I started to have a lot of pain on one side. The doctor then worried about abruption and bleeding that there is no way to really know about without delivering the baby. He and my regular doc decided the safest thing to do was go ahead and deliver him C-section. So I went in at 4pm to be monitored and will was born by 8:30. They didn't see any signs of serious bleeding, but Will was born anemic so they think there may have been some problem that set my body into labor. This whole time I am trying to call Ryan of course. I know his phone works in some places on the road, but I could not get through to him. Gracie stayed at Meagans house, and I kept her updated. Then my cell phone ran out of battery, and I had to use the hospital phone, which won't dial long distance. Of course, Ryan's phone is long distance! I had left him a few messages, and then I had Meagan call him for me. She left a few messages and called my mom for me. Then the doctor was getting worried about reaching Ryan so he called him personally on his cell phone and left a few messages. We finally got through to Ryan at about 7:15pm. He was in Orem. He somehow made it from Orem to Kaysville, dropped pf Maddie, and made it to the hospital in 45 min. He walked in the door of my room where they had finished prepping me and were ready to wheel me to the O.R. looking very stressed and sweaty. He had driven in the heat all day, hadn't showered yet or anything. He was worried that his presence would contaminate the clean OR. They assured him he was fine. I am so grateful that he made it there! If he hadn't, Meagan was there and ready to go in with me so I wouldn't be alone. What a loyal friend!
Will seemed fine at first, but after about 5 minuets they took him away to the NICU. I didn't get to see him till early the next morning. Ryan spent half the night in the NICU with him. They did chest X-rays and blood work on him, he was anemic and had some fluid in his lungs that was making breathing difficult. He was on oxygen and all the monitors for about one day. The originally told us that he probably would not be able to come home with us. But when we woke up Sunday morning, they called to say that he had been off oxygen all night and part of the day before and was doing fine. They released him to the nursery and his pediatrician agreed to discharge him. YAY!!! When we left the hospital he was only 6lbs, 6 oz, so he is just a skinny little guy. So far he has been doing great.
Leave it to mommy to be clumsy enough to fall and give you an interesting birthday story!


8 comments:
What a beautiful baby! I'm glad to hear you both are doing okay.
Gorgeous baby Jessica! Sorry about your scary day...but glad it all worked out so wonderfully. He's a beauty like all the rest of you! Enjoy him...he's Heaven on Earth.
Jess
He is gorgeous! I want more pictures! That will always be a great story--especially since everything ended well. I bet it was a little scary there for awhile. I am so excited for you to have this little boy added to your family. I bet your girls will just eat up having a baby brother! Congratulations!
He's so beautiful. I am so excited for you and your family!! Congratulations beautiful friend.
Nikki
Aww! He looks like all of you put together =). So precious! Thanks for posting pics and the whole story. Post more pics when you can but try to get lots of sleep too. Will is a great name for him. I've known some good Williams...heart-breakers, they were ;)
I am so glad you are both doing well! He is sooo cute. I can't wait to see him. Auntie Tina
Are you sure it wasn't just a story you made up? It was summer. You were very pregnant, and just thought...it's about time to get on with this...well, leave it to Jessica to make every delivery more interesting. Congratulations on the arrival of a wonderful son...(and grandson).
Love, Dad
oh hooray for little Will arriving safely! Even though he had a bumpy start, maybe this will make him a really strong and go with the flow type person.
Post a Comment