Thank you county library system! They have the best FREE learning experiences for kids during the summer. This week they had a Entomologist from the Utah Museum of Natural History come with lots of little creepy crawly guests. She taught them all about the different kinds of bugs and Maddie learned words like myriapod and the difference between insects and arachnids. She showed lots of pictures and information about bugs native to Utah. She asked all the kids to raise their hands if they ever got down on their hands and knees and watched ants or other kinds of bugs, or caught some in jar and watched them. Of course everyone raised their hand, then she told them that they are ALL entomologists.
My skin was crawling the whole time and I kept checking on her assistants to make sure they were keeping on eye on the cages. I didn't want something getting away in that room. I did not take a turn holding or petting any of the bugs.
Gracie and the Hissing Roach
Girls with the Tarantula


4 comments:
WOW. All I can say is that you are a really good mom to LET THEM HOLD THOSE THINGS! I would be saying things like, " oh you really don't want to hold that, it will give you a really bad germ and make you sick and then you can't go to Lagoon with us."
How fun for the kids though. I was very surprised that the girls were so into it. I guess you can't sterotype boys/girls by that kind of stuff can you?
HOpe your doing good, miss you and love you. Thanks for posting these photos, I always love seeing the girls and how much they are growing and changing.
love,
erin
Well, according to the experts there...they are "bred in captivity" bugs that are kept for study etc and don't have the same germs as a roach you would find outside or under your sink. I still made them go in the bathroom and wash their hands though!
ewwwwwwwwwwwwww! I've just spent days spraying for roaches and even the dead ones make my stomach queasy.
I'm glad your girls are that brave though.
yes, brave. I don't think my girls would do that. I definitely wouldn't. What a cool library!!
Post a Comment