This totally sums up the experience that is Clovis High. A good education? Maybe. Permanent psychological damage? Definitely. When you read this, you might be tempted to think maybe there is some exaggeration, embellishment for entertainment value...I assure this IS NOT the case! Events such as this one happened probably on a daily basis!!
School authority figures still intimidate me. I was actually threatened by Maddie's elementary school this year. It was delivered subtlety, but I got the message. If she has anymore unexcused absences, they are going to call social services, or DFS or something like that and REPORT me. Keep in mind here...I volunteer in her class at least 2 hours a week, many weeks it has been more. I have volunteered for all the class parties, field trips, etc. They all know me and who my child is. I called and explained all her absences, but they were not considered "excused". Maybe if she looked like a neglected child and was falling behind, I could see the concern, but she is the one girl who always has matching clothes (okay, except those 3 days I let her dress herself, and the 2 that Ryan dressed her, but what's 5 days in the whole school year?) and a cute hairdo with ribbons. She is above grade level in some subjects, and at grade level in the rest. What is up with our school system!??!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
It's crazy when the school system thinks they know what is better for children than the Childrens parents but actually it's all about money. The only get "seat time" money for the days she is in school. Crazy system. Besides that I think that they just like to make up rules to enforce...it's a power thing.
I know your frustration. We had the same problem everytime we took you girls out 2 weeks early to go to Mexico or on the "back east" trip. AS IF you would gain more in the last 2 weeks of doing nothing at school than on a trip touring a foreign country learning about another culture and ancient history or on a tour of important historical sites across the entire USA. I thought that school was about education but you know, gotta keep those seats warm cuz thats the rule.
As we say in our home, 101 Reasons We Home School.
Hang in there, remember she is your child, not their's. And despite the "authority" and "expertise" they want you to think they have, you are the only expert on your child.
Thanks for the giggle....do you email?
that least common denominator kills it for all of us who are responsible and raise our kids well. I am sorry. that is lame.
That is TOTALLY ridiculous!
Yes, let's threaten an obviously involved, non-neglectful parent that we are on the brink of wasting tax payers money and social services time by asking them to check this situation out. Nevermind the kids who actually need help...
And who makes up the rules as to what constitutes an excused or unexcused absence?
Craziness.
Post a Comment