My take on Vanity Fair: I love it, to start. I prefer the alternate ending, or wish there was a way to blend the two endings. I saw it as the "rise and fall" of Becky Sharp...she had it all, her son, true love, her life and her sense of self, but she gave it all up, lost it in her pursuit of Vanity. Her husband and others warned her that she was playing with fire. She so badly desired social status and to have a "place" in "society" that she was willing to risk her husband (who risked his fortune, and lost it, to be with her) and child (she sent him away despite her and Rodens objections because it was seemed proper by others she wished to impress) for that opportunity. Some of the lines in this movie kind of foreshadow this, like "the only thing that matters is to love and be loved." or "if you should wake and find me dead, know at least this, you are a woman who has been truly loved." All she really needed was right in front of her, but ever since she was a little girl she wanted to be considered better than an orphan or governess and was blinded by her ambition to climb up the social ladder. When she finally did, she fell and lost it all. At the end, she learned this. In the alternate ending, you see the true happiness her sister-in-law had, even though she didn't live an exciting life socially. The kindness Jane shows Becky is touching and the speech she gives explains the point of the movie, that love can cure vanity, that Becky finally let her vanity go to reconnect with her son, as well as he let his vanity, or pride go in allowing her to re-enter his life.
Okay, so there is my humble, unprofessional opinion. I think it is a classic because as the commentary in the bonus features of the movie says...it applies to 1815 London as well as today. There is still so much desire by so many to be "popular" or have their "place" in society, or their career, etc. that they are willing to risk what is truly important...to love and be loved. To find joy in the simple things in your life and appreciate what you have.
Of course I have to mention the music, cinematography, wardrobe...it was all so rich and beautiful! I just couldn't get enough! I could go on and on with my interpretations of Amelia's life and Georges relationship with his dad, how his dad ruined young George...Etc, etc. I wish I has the words to write it all like an experienced critic, but alas...as you all can see, it isn't so! I want to read the book now, I expect it will be even better than the movie, just like Sphere. I know! A totally different movie, but Ryan and I have always liked it and we own it, so I finally decided to read the book. Well, I couldn't pout it down and it was soooo good! If you like the movie, it is definitely a book to read, so much more in the book about people, and human nature and more metaphors for life than can be portrayed in the movie. Well, I better stop now...I could go on forever! Thanks for bearing with my movie critic moment! See Vanity Fair!!!
http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_features/vanity_fair/ See the trailer!
http://www.bartleby.com/305/ The book online!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
it's a very good review, you are better than many "professionals" so no apologies. Did you think that Rawden turned out to be kind of weak though? He could have done more to keep them going. I think he contributed to her desperation, she knew it was all up to her or did I get that wrong?
No, I agree...he just brooded instead of did something about it...and he didn't fully understand her "Journey". She said "you don't know the journey I've made..." and he said, "I should, I made it with you..." and then she whispered..."not from the begining..."
I think they didn't understand each other and he felt discouraged like "everything he touched turned to dust..." and so didn't go out and try to become succeseful himself, make more money himself. Ot made me really appreciate America, that we can become anything we want despite our "breeding" or "title" or "place in society". In 19th century london, you place was pretty much decided by your birth.
I love that music in the trailer!!
Okay...I rented this the other night and watched it!! I liked it but was very depressed by the ending until I saw that alternate ending.....I wish they would have ended it that way.
The one thing I didn't get was how George seemed like he didn't want to marry Amelia and that he was the type of person to marry the girl that his father wanted him to, but then he went and married her anyway....I was like, "what??"
Roden is hot!
-Britten
I think George did it to spite his Father. That was the feeling I got just to show his dad that he'd do whatever he wanted, though it wasn't really what he wanted just what his Dad didn't want. Make sense? He was a spoiled rotten brat.
He totally did it just to stick it too his father. He was a fool for doing that, and his father was a fool for disowning him. I love the part, although sad, where his dad reads the letter after george is dead and then breaks down. You never know what conversation may be your last with those you love. They were both stubborn and spoiled. I love that this book is sometimes referes to as the book without a hero, because they all make bad mistakes, some of them don't get a second chance, others do "repair their folly", but there is no clear hero.
Post a Comment