February 15, 2009

Valentines Day 2009

Or as Gracie says, "Valentimes Day". Ours was a little unconventional, but that's what I love about Ryan. He is always unconventional and it makes life fun and interesting! I got flowers (which are beautiful...thank you!) And I got to take a long nap with Will (which I really needed). When I woke up, Ryan had been cleaning the house and gathering all the dirty laundry. When we got it all together, it was a depressing sight. I have been barely keeping up with the necessities in the laundry department since Christmas. Being out of town, then sick for so long really got us behind. So many of our blankets and sheets needed washing from people being sick, including two comforters that don't even fit in my washer.


Ryan took one look at it all and says, "we're goin' to the laundry mat!" So we loaded up the kids and all the laundry and went to the "Laundry Hut". I think the owner was glad to see us. The place was deserted... not many people doing laundry on Valentines Night! Ryan called it our "Family Laundry Party". At first the girls groaned and thought it would be so boring, but they really had a good time. They helped us load and unload all the washers and dryers, did laps around the rows of washers, watched Spongebob on the TV, played with Will and chatted with us. We ended up using, I think about 11 washers. Keep in mind, these are high capacity washers so each one would have been at least 2 loads in my washer.

On the way home, we went through a drive-thru for a fast food dinner. When we got home, we had a Mario Vs. Luigi tournament. Whenever it wasn't your turn in the tournament you had to be folding and putting away the laundry. We got it all done!

I gave the girls the DVD "Space Buddies" which they were pretty excited about and Ryan gave them each a cute little stuffed animal wearing pink outfits. He made them get all ready for bed and in bed before he would give them their present and they loved them. Especially since they are OBSESSED with stuffed animals and they know that daddy can't stand them.

Then Ryan and I watched Lost...It was a good night.

My present to Ryan was a call to Dr. Laura. Friday was "Lovey Dovey Day" on her show. You could only get on the air if you had a good story about you and your spouse that was "lovey dovey", or an example of "swimming through shark infested waters to bring you a lemonade." Everyone that got on the air got a prize...we don't know what but they are mailing something. So obviously I got on the air and told a story from last week about how wonderful Ryan is, how well he treats me, and what a good husband and father he is.

So that's our unconventional Valentines Day...Thanks Ryan...I LOVED it!

4 comments:

stace said...

sounds better than my unconventional v-day which included watching the kids all day while D had mtgs. and going to stake conference at night.

I wish I had been doing laundry :).

Tara said...

Oh, I'm so sad I missed an opportunity to call Dr. Laura. You know I've been on her show 3 times. Her show airs at a really lame time here and so I never listen to it anymore.

Sounds like a fun V-day. We ended up going out Friday and Saturday night without the kids (I even left the baby both nights). It was a much needed break, but most V-days we spend with the kids. It's almost too crazy to go out, with the rest of the world. And I can't stand waiting hours to eat or paying hundreds of dollars for one meal.

christina said...

if anyone knows how to make the mundane fun, it's ryan.

but really, family time + giant washing machine robots that eat money + video games + getting all your laundry done = a perfect day.

i still have fond memories of going to the laundromat when we ere kids, i'm sure they are not so fond for mom, but it was a novelty to us...i mean, they had a big screen tv and candy machines! (do you remember that? or were you already gone?)

LuLuBelle said...

I'm glad Nina has fond memories of the laundry mat. The only time we went there was when someone came home from school with lice and we had to wash ALL the clothes we owned, clean and dirty. This happened at least 3 times. I think there was one time we went just to catch up.
(don't freak out all you desert people...this happens a lot in CA and other climates where living things thrive)