November 06, 2007

Wheat Free Banana Bread!!!

Thanks to Bette Hagman's cookbook...
(with a few of changes of my own)
Spiced Banana Loaf
2/3 cup Rice Flour
2/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 tea Xanthan gum
3/4 tea baking soda
1 1/4 tea cream of tartar
1/2 tea salt
*1 tea cinnamon
*1 tea cloves
*1/2 tea nutmeg
(*or 1 1/2 tea apple pie spice)
3/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg plus 2 egg whites, or 2/3 cup liquid egg substitute
1 tea vanilla
1 1/4 cup ripe banana's mashed
4 oz bag of chopped pecans (or other nuts)

( The recipe originally called for garbanzo bean flour, but I didn't have any so used rice instead and it was YUMMY. Also, it originally called for 1/3 cup margarine, real butter is always better in my opinion, and I accidentally looked at the other recipe on the next page which called for 3/4 cup, so that's what I put in. Same with the brown sugar. It calls for 2/3 cup, but I looked on the wrong page and put in 1 cup. I think this is the best banana bread I have ever had!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend both flours, cornstarch, xanthum gum, baking soda, cream of tarter, salt, and spices. In large bowl cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in the eggs gradually, until the mixture is fluffy. Add the vanilla. Beat in the flour mix alternately with the banana until the batter is smooth. Fold in nuts. (If batter seems too thick, thin with 1 to 2 Tablespoons orange or apple juice.) Pour into greased loaf pan(s) and bake for 50 or so minutes, or until loaf springs back to touch.

(Don't do what I did and accidentally set the oven on broil instead of bake. luckily, I put them in the bottom third of the oven. After 45 min, the tops were very brown and the bottom was doughy, and I noticed my mistake. I switched to bake, dumped the loaf out and put it back int he pan upside-down and baked until done. They turned out fine!! )

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I made it, and it is good even without being broiled.

LuLuBelle said...

oops! I thought the banana bread was on RJS blog...am I going crazy?