
So.... many of you know that we have this Hamster...It was the compromise we made with kids so we didn't have to get a dog like we promised.
Ryan took them to the pet store to look at dogs, and told them they were just looking, that they were not going to buy for a few more weeks. Then they looked at the hamsters, held them, oooohed and ahhhed over how soft and cute they were. THEN the real manipulation started. Ryan says to the girls, "Well...you guys can decide... you can have a Hamster TODAY, or wait a few weeks and get a dog. "
You got it! They went for the instant gratification! And we got Dude. (But we call him Bob for short. This is thanks to Maddie's brilliant naming ability.)
As of last night, I am voting to rename Dude (Bob for short) to Houdini Hamster.
At 11:00 last night Ryan was out on the deck grilling a steak for his dinner. And out comes Dude (Bob). Not in any hurry, just checking things out. He had found another way out of his cage. We have to wire it and tape it up constantly, and he still keeps finding ways to get out. The most amazing thing is that we find him every time! Poor Sally thinks they are buddies and just sits staring at the cage all night hoping he gets out so they can play. I don't know how long Houdini / Dude / Bob will last. I'm afraid one of these times I'm afraid he will get himself stuck...or swallow some wire, or tape, etc. The girls really love him though. Yesterday they took all the dollhouse furniture and put it in the cupboard in their little play kitchen. Then they put him in there and shut the doors. They pulled out the drawers above the cupboard and watched him down there wandering around in his little house. They were pretending he lived there and was doing and saying different things according to their imagination. He's a good little pet to put up with all that!


8 comments:
I think Dude is cute and all but there is something about intentionally putting a rodent in your cabinets that seems wrong.
I agree he is a very talented little Bob-Dude and the fact the cat likes him is something weird and special. I almost expect little birdies to start singing about now and dancing with the cat and the hamster and soon Maddie and Gracie will appear in their fairy godmother costumes and just imagine what comes next...
If there is anything along the lines of 3 wishes in this story, I'd like a new car.
Just to clarify...this was their PLAY kitchen cupboard in the playroom. Not the real cupboards in the kitchen. That I would not go for.
This story put a HUGE smile on my face. Thank you so much for sharing it! YOu have your sister, Sara's gift of telling stories!
that photo of the catch cracked me up! ANd when I read the name Huidinni/Dude/Bob, I actually laughed out loud! I loved Maddie's idea of calling him "Bob" for short. Your girls do the funnest and cutest things, keep sharing!
love,
erin
"that story of the catch?" what does that mean? I meant to say, CAGE> I'm so tired today, can you tell?
AH! I meant to say, "that PHOTO of the CAGE." good grief. I'm lame.
love it!!! i had a hampster when i was young. i hope you can keep your little guy in his cage. he's a major houdini hampster.
so maddie to name the hampster dude and call him bob. she is still hillarious.
This would be a typical Jones animal...a Houdini Hamster, a psychotic, depressed cat, a dog that poops rainbows...it's all very fitting. And hilarious!
This story made me miss my Hamster Ellery and my rats Darlene and Doloris.
Rodents are the BEST!
Post a Comment