June 01, 2007

Last Day Of School

For a last-day-of-school surprise a few friends and I got together and made a treasure hunt for our kids. The last clue led them to a surprise that told them where we were going. Although none of us are great writers or poets, we came up with 5 clues. The first clue was on the sliding glass door to the back yard:

"Summer's begun, now starts the fun in the sun.
Look for something to help you cool off!"

This clue led them to the water faucet in the back yard. There they found bottles of ice cold water for each of them along with the next clue:

"Next is a place that protects your secret garden / fortress (for the boys)
This is where you will find your next clue."

This led them to the gate separating the back yard from the front where they found butterfly / bug nets for each of them...and the next clue:

"When the last petal fell,
he was kissed by Belle.
Here you will find yet another clue."


The girls all got this one right away and headed over to the rose bushes. There they found a bag full of sunglasses, a pair for each kid and another clue:

"Summer's so real, this is Daddy Steve's new thrill!
Hopefully you will find your fill (and your last clue!)."

Steve just got a new grill and loves to use it so his kids went right to it. Under the grill they found a sack full of treats and the last clue:

"Today your a grade older!
You've climbed so high,
Don't forget to stay grounded as you look to the sky!"

They needed a hint on this one, which led them to the ladder under the plum tree (climbed) and at the top of the ladder in the tree was a bag with nature collecting boxes and a note that said "We are going to the wildlife preserve!" They loved the treasure hunt. The collecting boxes were egg cartons with different colors of craft paint in the bottom of each section. The idea was to find something on our outing that matched each color and put it in that section. (Maddie has been begging me to do this with her.)



The nature preserve place was really neat. Marshy, swampy fields of reeds and pussy willows, trickling water, birds, the prettiest and biggest dragonflies I have ever seen, all kinds of plants, fish and we even saw a beaver! It was great fun. I hope we made some lasting memories for the kids. All together we had 4 adults and 10 kids. And we will all sleep well tonight!


Maddie and Kayla
(they got the same teacher for next year...yea!!)

Walking along the boardwalk

Above: Checking out a slimy pond

Below: See Maddie's pussy willow / cat tail?

Above: Coming down the tower

Below: View of the lookout tower as we approached

5 comments:

Rachel said...

you are such a cool mom!!! My kids are lucky if I go in the backyard with them. Actually, I have to make them go for walks, and then they get upset because it is too "buggy" outside. My goal is to be more like you and catch some frogs and do some nature hikes.

LuLuBelle said...

It was too buggy in Indianapolis in the summer to go for walks. Jessica thanks for sharing all this...Keep posting!

Matthew wants us to build a boardwalk in our backyard. We don't have any boggy marsh to traverse but after seeing these photos I'm really liking the idea...(I just need visuals Matthew) I will soon have to post photos of our back yard and the awesome wall Matthew and Chris have been building. You'll all be so impressed.

I realize this is not my blog so enough about me. I love it that you girls are blogging!! I look forward to checking for new posts everyday. And did you know that Grandma Jones is another blurker? I think maybe Nina will help her learn to post a comment. Nina and Matthew will be at her house tomorrow, (Sunday)

breena rae said...

how fun for your kids! what an swesome mom you are. I can't wait to do those things when Brighton gets older!

Sarita said...

Such a fun mom.

Britten said...

That is so cool. I need to do more treasure hunts for my kids. Looks like a neat preserve.